Film Comment poll

Quentin Turnour Quentin.Turnour at nfsa.gov.au
Mon Jul 19 19:27:20 EDT 2010

Thanks Michael; the beginning of the thread was actually in a discussion
begun about Markus about why Japanese experimental cinema is not more
widely seen in the West. I was arguing that one of the problems was the
difficulty enthusiastic experimental programmers have in getting potential
Japanese distributors to respond to their approaches ( This is
acknowledging that these are generalist experimental and Artist video
programmers who, unlike many on this list, are unable to speak Japanese
and who whilst know the work and have researched and know the sources are
not been regular Japanese visitors)

In this, I'm afraid, Image Forum don't have the best reputation. If you
can suggest personal contacts or people we should be getting to know to
change this, please let me know (perhaps off-list).

Quentin Turnour, Programmer,
Access, Research and Development
National Film and Sound Archive, Australia
McCoy Circuit, Acton,
ACT, 2601 AUSTRALIA
phone: +61 2 6248 2054  |  fax: + 61 2 6249 8159
www.nfsa.gov.au

The National Film and Sound Archive collects, preserves and provides
access to Australia's historic and contemporary moving image and recorded
sound culture.

Michael Goldberg <ivw2 at yahoo.com>
Sent by: owner-KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
18/07/2010 10:25 PM
Please respond to
KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu

KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
cc

Subject
Re: Film Comment poll

Re: Film Comment poll
    by Quentin Turnour <Quentin.Turnour at nfsa.gov.au>
     ...I was thinking of... the Artist's Film and Video Study and
Research collection at St Martin's Collage in London; not so much an
exhibitor, but perhaps the leading such collection in the UK for
researching experimental cinema practice and history. They have been
trying to 'internationalise' their collection; the curators there know and
deeply appreciate Japanese experimental cinema, but have mentioned that
attempts to build a links to build a collection of some key Japanese works
have been very difficult.

Sorry I missed the beginning of this thread.  If, as I understand, you are
looking for good examples of Japanese experimental cinema, you should try:
IMAGE FORUM
http://www.imageforum.co.jp/

If experimental video is part of your interest, I can direct you to other
sources.

All best,
Michael Goldberg
ivw at gol.com