Self-Introduction

James King jking at univmail.cis.mcmaster.ca
Thu Mar 25 19:59:16 EDT 2010

Hello,

I am writing a book on American/European (also Indian and Taiwanese)
treatments of post World War II Japan. This narrative would do a wide
variety of films: e.g. Sayonara, A Bridge to the Sun, The Sun,
Hiroshima, Mon Amour, The Teahouse of the August Moon, Mishima, Lost in
Translation, Caf? Lumi?re, The Pillow Book, the documentaries of
Wenders, Marker, Richie.

In recent years, my scholarship/writing has been related to Japan.
 Five years ago I published a novel Pure Inventions that is (in part)
set in Edo. In 2007, Japanese Warrior Prints,1727-1960 was published by
Hotei (the book was co-written with Yuriko Iwakiri). This spring my
history of the Japanese landscape print will come out: Beyond The Great
Wave: The Japanese Landscape Print, 1727-1960 (Bern: Peter Lang).

Although my project may not fit directly into the interests of most
members of KineJapan, I would be interested to hear from anyone
interested in the theoretical issues raised by this project.

James King, F.R.S.C.
Distinguished University Professor
Department of English and Cultural Studies
McMaster University