Self-introduction

Laura Treglia 222249 at soas.ac.uk
Wed Mar 24 15:01:41 EDT 2010

Dear all,
I'll take advantage of Marco's post to introduce myself, give a
couple of titles and ask a question to you all. My name is Laura
Treglia and I am a PhD student at SOAS (London). My project focuses
on female outlaws in yakuza eiga (e.g. Hibotan Bakuto and Gokudō no
Onnatachi) and Tōei so-called 'pinky violence' films.

@Marco: Isolde Standish's "Myth and masculinity in Japanese cinema:
towards a political reading of the 'tragic hero' "
                  Marc Schilling's "Yakuza movie book, a guide to
Japanese gangster films
                  Chris Desjardins' "Outlaw masters of Japanese cinema"

are a must have.
There's also an article by MR Novielli in Asiatica Venetiana entitled
"Le stagioni dell'eroe. Un culto in divenire tra jidaigeki, chanbara
e yakuza eiga".
These are the very first that popped into my mind, but you'll see
there has been written a lot on the topic. Hope this helps for now.

I would also like to ask a question about where could I find audience
data about 'pinky violence' films reception in 1970s Japan, or
Japanese cinema journals that may have treated the topic/reviewed
some films
(e.g. Yōen Dokufu Den series, Yasagure Anego Den, Furyō Anego Den,
etc..)

Thanks very much in advance

All the best
Laura

Il giorno 24/mar/10, alle ore 20:11, Marco Marattin ha scritto:

> Hello, my name is Marco, I am a student of japanese language and
> culture at the university of Venice.
>
> I am planning to write a thesis about the yakuza eiga, particularly
> on Suzuki Seijun and Fukasaku Kinji among others, so I would like
> to know if there's anyone who could help me finding some articles
> or books about them both in english and japanese.
>
> Thank you
>
> Marco.

Laura Treglia
PhD candidate