Actors and Estates/contact information?

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Wed Mar 10 19:29:52 EST 2010

Sarah,

This is a difficult problem, one we did not specifically address in
our book. In any photograph, the photographer does have copyright
(with stills, that is technically owned by the company). So I would
first try to determine the photographer. If these are bromides, for
instance, they might have the bromide company printed on them
somewhere. (Most, however, are out of business.)

If you cannot determine the photographer, the question then revolves
around the possibility of rights concerning the actor's own image
(shozoken), person (jinkakuken), and property (zaisanken). I am no
lawyer, but from my understanding, the first is not actually strictly
written in law in Japan and is mostly a matter of custom. And it is
usually considered irrelevant in the case of photographs that were
originally intended to be widely distributed. The problem is whether
one could be violating the actor's right of person (but that is only
really an issue if you intend to alter the photographs) or their
property (the money they could make from selling their image--but that
is not really relevant with much academic publishing).

The Japanese Wikipedia article on this is actually not that bad:

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E8%82%96%E5%83%8F%E6%A8%A9

Personally, given all these problems, I would just go ahead and
publish them if you can justify them as quotations (i.e., if they are
not just illustrations of the actor you mention, but are actually the
subject of what you discuss). If your publisher insists on you at
least making an effort, I would go to old copies of Eiga nenkan to
find the home addresses of these actors (it has actually only been in
the last few decades that Eiga nenkan has stopped publishing those).
Since people in Japan move less than in other countries, there is a
decent chance the family of the actor is still at the address.

Aaron Gerow
Associate Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University
53 Wall Street, Room 316
PO Box 208363
New Haven, CT 06520-8363