Actors and Estates/contact information?

Sarah Frederick sfred at bu.edu
Wed Mar 10 00:16:58 EST 2010

I am working with some photographs of Japanese studio actors and need
to reproduce them for publication.  They are not film stills but
posed directly, which I believe means that I need the actors'
permission.  I apologize if this is in Aaron and Markus's book
already, but is there some means by which to find addresses for such
people or their family's (many are deceased)?  Generally, these are
not particularly famous actors.  Many were Shochiku, but Shochiku has
no information on them.  Does that mean I am unlikely to find them by
other means?   I am familiar with these issues for copyright, but not
sure how to go about finding actors.

Thank you in advance for any guidance.

Sarah Frederick
Associate Professor of Japanese