art animation?

Catherine Munroe Hotes nishikataeiga at gmail.com
Fri May 21 01:52:41 EDT 2010

As I am working on a book on Japanese art animation, I thought I should
jump into the conversation.  In an interview with fpsmagazine Akira
Tochigi (curator at the National Film Center) claims that the use of the
term 'animation' instead of 'manga eiga' entered the language in the
1950s when Norman McLaren's work was first screened in Japan.  /
/
/
"... in the late '50s, early '60s, the word "animation" was first
introduced in Japan.
Before then, we used the word "manga" film, not animation. But the
exhibition that introduced McLaren's work was called "animation film
screening". [This] means that the term animation was related not to
Disney type of animation but to experimental film and personal film...
So this context of Canadian animation has a special [significance] in
Japan: it is a kind of individual expression./"
http://www.fpsmagazine.com/blog/2008/03/interview-with-akira-tochigi.php

The next time I go to Japan, I am planning to trawl through the archives
for evidence of this screening event (flyers, / posters / ticket stubs)
to see exactly how Norman McLaren's work was promoted and reviewed.  The
puppet animation of Karel Zeman and Jiri Trnka came to Japan in the
late1940s and were seen by Tadanari Okamoto and Kihachiro Kawamoto
(inspiring both to become puppet animators themselves) and it is
possible that the term animation was used at these screenings - which
would explain the 1948 reference that Mark Nornes found.  In /Makers of
Animation/ (1987), John Halas claims that Trnka even came to Tokyo to
present /The Emporer's Nightingale/ (1948).

While the term "art animation" is a Japanese construction, I personally
find it a much more apt description for the style of animation that it
refers to.  Terms like "experimental" / "jikken" / avant garde come with
a lot of additional baggage --- esp. the insinuation that these films
are somehow obscure or difficult.  As the term "art animation"
encompasses such a wide range of styles and methods, I feel it is
appropriate because the one thing all the animators have in common is
that they are primarily creating "art for art's sake" rather than for
commercial purposes.

All the best, Cathy

Catherine Munroe Hotes
PhD in Film & Visual Culture (Exeter)