KCX Housing Information

Mark Nornes amnornes at umich.edu
Mon May 17 21:32:06 EDT 2010

Kinema Club Housing Information

The conference is taking place at the East West Center, which is adjacent to the Manoa campus of University of Hawaii. This sits at the entrance to beautiful Manoa valley:

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF8&q=east+west+center&fb=1&gl=us&hq=east+west+center&hnear=Hawaii&cid=0,0,17224426724904432965&ei=5eLxS5rTOoWINdb5qN8P&ved=0CBMQnwIwAA&ll=21.305268,-157.814248&spn=0.019531,0.020492&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A

As you can see, it's not far from Waikiki. However, with a canal and a Oahu's major freeway between Manoa and the beach it's too far to walk. There is, however, regular and reliable bus service.

So your options are staying down by the beach at Waikiki or up at the Center.

For Waikiki hotels, you can try online or your travel agent. At the last Kinema Club in Hawaii, a few people found cheap package tours that included Waikiki hotel and airfare. Prices tend to run from $90/night to the sky.

For EWC rooms, you have a couple choices. Hale Manoa is a dorm with common showers and most of the EWC students live there. They are typical dorm rooms (with amazing views of the ocean, diamond head, and the city) and conference rate for a single is only $27.00. The other choice at EWC is Lincoln Hall, which is somewhere between dorm and motel. Clean and obviously convenient, and rooms are between $52.00 and $69. Here is their webiste with all the information you need:

http://www.eastwestcenter.org/?id=927

Another option in Manoa is the Manoa Valley Inn, a pretty bed and breakfast that overlooks the city. It's a ten minute walk to the conference site, and the place we'll hold our opening reception. http://www.manoavalleyinn.com/

For what it's worth, we'll be congregating every night at a Waikiki beach bar on the Diamond Head end of Waikiki.

Let us know when you book a hotel. We'd like to keep track of where people are staying.

We'll be sending something on the registration issue in the next day or so, but only to participants.

Cheers,

Markus and Aaron