Busted in Beiruit

Mark Nornes amnornes at umich.edu
Wed May 12 09:53:50 EDT 2010

Over dinner with Adachi Masao, I learned that Wakamatsu Koji was arrested a few weeks ago in Beirut. Wakamatsu was in Lebanon for film screenings, and he had visited the prison where Adachi, Okamoto Kozo, and other Red Army members were imprisoned before extradition to Japan. As they approached the area, there were signs everywhere warning "no photography allowed." Wakamatsu left his camera in the car when he and three companions approached the prison by foot. There were people watching them from every direction...and he noticed that one of his companions had brought a video camera and was shooting from the hip. They immediately got busted and thrown into said prison. After many hours of worried calls to Japan, a lawyer managed to spring them. I'm sure we'll be hearing Wakamatsu telling this story whenever he has the chance!

Markus

A. M. Nornes
Chair
Department of Screen Arts and Cultures