H-JAPAN (E): representations of blacknesS, Japanese & Korean Cinema

Roger Macy macyroger at yahoo.co.uk
Sun May 2 09:27:51 EDT 2010

Re: H-JAPAN (E): representations of blacknesS,  Japanese & Korean  CinemaMaybe it's in bad taste to revive a thread from eight months ago, but it doesn't look like anyone mentioned ISHII Teruo's 1960 Ōsen chitai,Yellow Line, 黄線地帯, for a highly questionable representation of blackness.
Most of the film is set in the 'Casbah' section of Kobe.  The leading man eventually encounters a prostitute who has the trade name of 'The Moor' (‘Mūa’).  She's patently blacked up and played by an actress who is very white, with a narrow face, thin lips with strongly pronounced nose, jaw and sharp eyebrow ridges.  She's also auburn (the film is in colour).  I thought, to start with, that we were supposed to perceive her as blacked up, required by her pimp to take this trade role, but as the dialogue progresses, it seems that she is simply supposed to be black.  It's played with a strong, halting accent, but I wouldn't care to say how that would have been placed.  The character comes to a sticky end and the plot lurches off elsewhere.  She is played by 'Susan Kennedy', who has no other roles on IMDb or JMDb. The alliteration of 'zen' for 'san' in 'Susan' seems universal, so not indicative of britishness for this actress.

Walking back across Udine, I was discussing this role with a Slovenian TV journalist.  I argued for a dearth of black actresses in Tokyo in 1960 - she argued for the blackness to be part of the humiliated role within the plot (by her pimps).  We then walked into Mark Schilling who basically agreed with me, but, either way, it's more multiple exploitation, than multi-culturalism.  However, I wouldn't be surprised to find similar representations of blackness in British and other European films up to that time.
Roger