Calligraphy

Jasper Sharp jasper_sharp at hotmail.com
Sat May 1 05:39:08 EDT 2010

In Kaizo Hayashi's The Breath (1997), set in Taiwan, the detective character played by Juro Kara communicates with the locals almost entirely through writing Chinese characters, their common visual language. I may be wrong, but I think Mitsuo Yanagimachi's About, Tokyo (1992) features a similar scene.

Jasper

Midnight Eye: The Latest and Best in Japanese Cinema
www.midnighteye.com

More details about me on http://jaspersharp.com/