Reminder: CFP Japanese Film Symposium at the University of Leeds, UK

Julian Ross julianross at hotmail.co.uk
Sun Sep 12 19:03:34 EDT 2010

Call for
Papers:

Symposium:
 ‘Breaking Boundaries:
Alternative Approaches to Japanese Film’

Date:
 November 6th,
2010

Venue:
 ICS Cinema, University of Leeds, UK

Keynote
 Speaker: Tony Rayns (film
critic and programmer of East Asian cinema)

Screening:
 ‘Children of the
Beehive’ (Shimizu, 1948) courtesy of Zipangu Fest (http://www.zipangufest.com).

The
 event has been coordinated as
part of the 24th Leeds International Film Festival (4-21 Nov
2010).
For more information on the film festival, please visit www.leedsfilm.com.

Please
 note that selected papers
will be considered for publication in a special issue of Journal

 of Japanese and Korean Cinema, edited by David Desser and
published by Intellect. For more information on the journal, please
visit: http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/journals/view-Journal,id=157/
For more information, please check: http://www.mixedcinemanetwork.org/node/80

No other region
 is expected to have a
more profound impact on the future global system and society than East
Asia,
and accordingly, understanding the culture and arts of the countries in
this
region is becoming increasingly vital to the work of academics. Japanese
 cinema,
in particular, has recently experienced a resurgence of interest within
and
beyond academic confines. In the UK, recent major retrospectives of
directors
such as Nagisa Oshima, Yasujiro Ozu and Akira Kurosawa organized by the
British
Film Institute, among many other events across the country, have
contributed to
an increased awareness of this burgeoning subject area. The number of
Hollywood
remakes of Japanese texts and films and the recent trend of Western
directors
travelling to Tokyo to shoot their films are also indicative of an
interest
which cuts across theory and practice. It seems particularly
timely to
discuss the ways in which we can address Japanese cinema and its
relevance to
world cinema, film studies and other disciplines.

‘Breaking
 Boundaries’ is an
inter-institutional project organized by postgraduate students at the
universities of Leeds, Sheffield and York through the Mixed Cinema
Network project
(www.mixedcinemanetwork.org) and beyond. Our aim is to propose
alternative approaches
to Japanese cinema, moving beyond East-West binary oppositions, thus
encouraging the exploration of new and exciting critical avenues.

Although
 all proposals will be
considered, we particularly welcome papers that explore the following
themes we
have set up as panels:

·
Japanese
Cinema
 Within and Beyond the Nation

·
Interdisciplinarity
and
 Intertextuality in Japanese Cinema

·
Questions
 of
Gender in Japanese Film

·
Reception
 of
Japanese Films Home and Abroad

We
 welcome proposals from
researchers at any stage of their project, and we will accept proposals
from
those within and beyond the academic field of film studies. Please send a
400-word abstract and 150-word biography to:

bbconf2010 at googlemail.com
For those of
you who responded to our previous call for papers - your proposals are
still valid but if you would like to revise and re-submit that is also
fine.

The
 deadline for application is September 20th
2010.
We look forward to hearing
from you!