Films that depict the occupation of Japan, made afterwards

Quentin Turnour Quentin.Turnour at nfsa.gov.au
Wed Sep 8 07:17:50 EDT 2010

Might have mentioned this before, but there's an intriguing extra layer of
invisibility here: of non-US post-war occupying forces. You might say that
in Japanese cinema's representations of the occupiers, every one was
presumed to be one of MacArthur's children.

The early films in Fukasaku's JINGI NAKI TATAKAI series, especially in the
original's opening scenes, have US servicemen and MPs on the streets of
late 1940s Kure and Hiroshima - when this was one sector not occupied by
the Americans. Rather, this was the occupation zone controlled by the
British Commonwealth Occupation Force (BCOF), which operated out of the
former (and later) Kure naval base. In real life the troops on the street
of Kure and Hiroshima were Australian, Indians and some Brits.

It's odder here in the context of post-war Hiroshima black markets. BCOF's
troops discipline was notoriously bad. Many (most?) were supplementing
army pay by funnelling tones of military supplies to the local black
market gangs.

But to be fair, few modern residence of Hiroshima - or Japan - have any
collective memory of BCOF... I've not read Iboshi Kōichi 's original
books, but it wouldn't surprise me they don't differentiate this, either.

However, some of the later JINGI NAKI TATAKAI film inadvertently make
amends for this error. There are a number of shots of motorcades of large
black American limousines transporting Yakuza bosses between meetings.
Seems the production designers wanted to save automobile wrangling costs,
so use the then much cheaper big black Australian-made Fords and Holdens
that were being imported into Japan in the early 70s rather than sourcing
Cadillacs or German luxury cars. As a result there is one delicious
travelling shot in PROXY WARS (if I remember) that looks more like a scene
from MAD MAX than a Yakuza movie.

Quentin Turnour, Programmer,
Access, Research and Development
National Film and Sound Archive, Australia
McCoy Circuit, Acton,
ACT, 2601 AUSTRALIA
phone: +61 2 6248 2054  |  fax: + 61 2 6249 8159
www.nfsa.gov.au

The National Film and Sound Archive collects, preserves and provides
access to Australia's historic and contemporary moving image and recorded
sound culture.

Aaron Gerow <aaron.gerow at yale.edu>
Sent by: owner-KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
08/09/2010 05:28 AM
Please respond to
KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu

KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
cc

Subject
Re: Films that depict the occupation of Japan, made afterwards

Kinoshita Keisuke's Nihon no higeki, which was made right after the
Occupation in 1953, concertedly places its hahamono story in history
and uses lots of newsreel footage, as well as "flashbacks" of
Occupation hardships, to do that. In the newsreel-like footage, there
are shots of American soldiers, including a pretty powerful one of
American soldiers cavorting with "panpan" girls. I haven't seen many
images like that in 1950s cinema.

Kobayashi Masaki's Kuroi kawa from 1956 has many images of American
soldiers, though I don't recall if any of them were specifically set
in the Occupation.

I think a lot of films in the yakuza or action genres, especially
ones with a historical bent like Fukasaku's Jinginaki tatakai, will
depict aspects of the Occupation, including American soldiers.

Aaron Gerow
KineJapan owner

Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University

For list commands, send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html