Audience studies of the Occupation

Roger Macy macyroger at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Sep 5 03:55:36 EDT 2010

Thanks for your interest and response, Michael.

My objections still run along the same line :
- Painting Ozu as being in character to make such a statement is no evidence that he actually saw it that way.

- As for his supposed PR defence strategy, it presupposes that he was a personality for the western media whose denial would have some credibility.  But he had neither a name nor an address for them (nor the English) and the hacks would have knocked on Shochiku's door.  And even if he or Shochiku had Max Clifford on hand for a successful coup, he'd still never work for Shochiku or any other studio again.  Your hypothetical Ozu would have realised that all too well.

- To be repetitive, the scenarios remove Shochiku from the equation who would be the dominant personality.  The hypothetical number would be dropped on Shochiku and the only thing they needed Ozu for was a bit of prestige, which would immediately evaporate in the alleged gambit.  They would also feel betrayed and released from any loyalty to such an Ozu. The real Ozu, working in the studio system, would see that instinctively.

- nor do I see Ozu as a habitual subverter of previous censorship regimes, however original his approach.

So, I still stick with my concluding sentence below about the application of the rule of parsimony.
Roger