Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail

Junkerman John jtj at rf7.so-net.ne.jp
Wed Jan 26 10:40:58 EST 2011

Hey Markus,

I think this is a reference to the Kabuki play "Kanjincho" (The
Subscription List). Benkei and Yoshitsune get through a checkpoint
disguised as Buddhist priests, but since they're only in disguise,
the "subscription list" Benkei reads from is actually blank. After
they're let through the checkpoint, the chorus sings

Having trod the tiger's tail
and escaped the viper's venom,
they go on their way,
on to the province of Mutsu.