RIP Evil Dead Trap Director Toshiharu Ik

hakutaku at kansaigaidai.ac.jp hakutaku at kansaigaidai.ac.jp
Wed Jan 26 07:58:37 EST 2011

This is very sad. Despite the attention in the West drawn by his Shiryo no wana 1988 (which is a better film than the usual "Japan's first splatter movie" might suggest), I would agree that Ningyo densetsu 1984 is really his best. It starts out with a sense of a realistic drama about an ama and gradually shifts into a metaphor of nature's revenge on society (and the use of nuclear power). The long unique sword fight scene transcends Tarantino. His best films have a moody quality that is very engaging. After Ningyo densetsu I would rank Kurenai monogatari 1992 next. His Masho no kaori 1985 is also an interesting drama. His remake of Tanizaki's Kagi 1997 is the latest of many Kagi remakes and perhaps the best since Ichikawa's, although like the others not so close to the novel and with another original ending.
It is disturbing to have another talented, yet little recognized director, depart.
Paul Berry
Kyoto