Influence of Japanese War-era films on Malayan Post-war Cinema

naguib_razak naguib_razak at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 23 12:17:04 EST 2011

Dear KineJapaners,

A Malaysian friend of mine is interested in making a documentary on the
influence of Japanese War-era films on Malayan Cinema in the post-war years,
including those by Ozu, Mizoguchi and Kurosawa.

I thought I'd ask amongst those of you here if you have had any experience or
know of other people who may have attempted securing permission to either still
or moving images from these war-era films.

Would the fact that these films would be more than 65 years old by now, make it
easier and perhaps less costly to negotiate permission for use in a documentary
as well as accessing the footage in some transferable form?

Would they largely be under the care of Kawakita Memorial Film Institute or the
National Film Center, permissions-wise? Or still with the respective commercial
rights-holders?

Any advice or suggestion would be welcome.

Warmest regards,
 Naguib Razak
Managing Director, Producer/Director
Blue In Green Productions