Itami Mansaku (Peter High's Excellent Book)

mccaskem at georgetown.edu mccaskem at georgetown.edu
Wed Jan 19 08:01:07 EST 2011

Dear FB,

I just read the pages you refer to, in my copy of Peter High's book. It's excellent
information, and I was surprised to find that my bits and pieces fit well into the
bigger picture. I should have looked there sooner, rather than assuming there
wasn't much available in English.

I never knew that the Itami version was shown in theaters in Japan. That must
have been very interesting!

As for Fanck, I may be wrong, but I think he was a naive person who liked to do
outdoor filming. Most of his films are Berg-Film/Mountain Film, in which the
scenery is almost more important than the actors.

Leni Riefenstahl began acting in Fanck's mountain films early on. Fanck did not
like using doubles, and wanted his actors to do all the climbing, slipping, and
hanging in space themselves. Hitler saw her onscreen in one of them later, and
that's how she got mixed up with Nazis.

Fanck really just wanted to make another mountain film, starring a volcano in
Japan. In the long finale of the film, Hara Setsuko and the male lead do a very
long and slow trek, one trying to catch up with the other, over fissures with
steam coming out, etc. Hara is supposed to be trying to jump in the volcano's
core because her "fiance" maybe doesn't care for her, and he schlepps through
all perils to save her and prove his love for her.

I'm not sure anyone in Japan had tried much to make this kind of outdoor film.
Fanck was famous for them in Germany & Austria, and it was his main talent.

Apart from this film, Fanck had a fairly dreary career under Nazi Rule.
Riefenstahl & Goebbels always hated each other, so Fanck's connection with LR
didn't help him so much in the big picture.

After the war, unlike Harlan Veit, a notoriously Nazi director through and
through, who resumed his bigtime career in the 1950s in W. Germany after a
discreet hiatus, and later died while vacationing in his villa in Italy. Fanck instead
ended up with a new kind of mountain gig, cutting down trees for a living for a
while. Later mountain film nostalgia helped him economically.

http://www.nevasport.com/nevablogs/retro-ski/art/arnold-fanck--maestro-
de-peliculas-de-montana---arnold-fanck--the-master-of-mountain-
films/2625/

Thank You Very Much For The Good Information!

mmcc