Hayakawa in Japan the USA, Belgium, France, etc.

mccaskem at georgetown.edu mccaskem at georgetown.edu
Tue Jan 18 15:36:37 EST 2011

I'm afraid this was some film blog in Japanese, maybe connected with All Cinema
or some such site.

As I recall, the person saw Atarashiki Tsuchi, and then these out-takes, using
the same sets, and with Hayakawa whose English must have been quite good, as
a more major character than in the German version. As I recall, it wasn't really
100% clear to the Japanese viewer whether Itami was making exactly the same
movie or a variation.

I believe the same person wrote, or someone else jumped in and responded,
that back then it was not so uncommon to do this. Before, one could just have
made intertitles in English later for a US or British Commonwealth audience.
Japan stayed in the Silent Film Era quite a while longer than some other
countries, and this might have been a last-stand way to try to preserve
international marketability in the Age of Sound.

I wish I had copied and pasted that for the record - but since then I've have had
two computers suddenly go defunct due to viruses, so I'm afraid the source
would be lost anyway. Sometimes blog chats among Japanese viewers about
things like this are very interesting. But, unlike KineJapan, these chats are often
difficult to verify.

Best Regards,

mmcc