"Potemkin" in Japan

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Mon Jan 17 16:01:59 EST 2011

The best works so far on the influence of Soviet silent cinema and
montage theory are of course Yamamoto Kikuo's Nihon eiga ni okeru
gaikoku eiga no eikyo, and Iwamoto Kenji's "Nihon ni okeru montaju
riron no shokai" (Waseda Daigaku Hikaku Bungaku Nenshi 10). I just
glanced over them and both clearly state that Potemkin was not shown
at the time. Neither offers any report of anyone (other than perhaps
censors) who saw it in Japan through any other means. As Naoki notes,
and Yamamoto and Iwamoto detail this, there was a lot of publishing
about Potemkin and other Soviet films, some involving reports from
Japanese abroad and some articles which were essentially screenplays
with a lot of pictures. At least at the time, a lot of people were
walking around talking as if they had seen the films because they had
read these accounts. There was also a lot of translating going on,
including Eisenstein's piece on Japanese culture and montage, which
appeared in 1930.

I think Kurosawa just misremembered. And that the discipline of
Japanese film history has not always been that rigorous, I doubt he
feared being called on it.

Aaron Gerow
Associate Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Director of Undergraduate Studies, Film Studies Program
Yale University
53 Wall Street, Room 316
PO Box 208363
New Haven, CT 06520-8363