The Vagaries of Film Viewing (Started re: Potemkin)

Roger Macy macyroger at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 17 13:25:18 EST 2011

And whilst we're speculating about embassy screenings, what are the chances of Kurosawa having attended screenings of Japan's allies during the war ?  I had thought I had seen something of Rossellini's 1943 L'uomo dalla croce, in Shichinin no samurai, particularly in the 'night-time lull' episode.  It's pretty unlikely to have screenings after the war.
And, as a fellow senior-citizen of this list, I'm also doubtful that Kurosawa would have volunteered an easily falsifiable statement.  Incidentally, International Literature, a Soviet publication in various languages for foreign consumption, in the thirties stoked up, unwisely I would have thought, tales of derring-do by the Tokyo ambassador, passing clandestine material to underground party members.  I didn't spot any that involved film material, though!
But one has to accept that memory does play tricks, working on the material supplied, such as trailers and excerpts,  creatively.  Given, M. McCaskey, that you seem to accept that, I was perplexed that you wanted to show the Odessa steps sequence out of context to students whom you do not think have seen it.  Wouldn't that be a kind of generational revenge?  The kwaidan that Kurosawa never made ?!?Roger