Thanks and New Question re Kurosawa's "Quiet Duel"

mccaskem at georgetown.edu mccaskem at georgetown.edu
Mon Jan 10 06:43:46 EST 2011

I'd like to thank everyone for helping answer my two questions re film and
clothing, in particular colleagues Faith Bach, M. Raine, D. Martinez, A. Zahlten,
and M. Kerpan. The information you sent was both interesting and highly
helpful, and I was introduced to several new information sources as well.

I have yet another Kurosawa-related historical question, but I'd like to put that
on hold in favor of questions about something that has surprised and puzzled
me.

I got a set of the AK 100 collection of 25 Kurosawa films a while ago. I've seen
all the Kurosawa films, so the AK 100 set is more of a resource for my students
in a class re Kurosawa films starting shortly. Our univ. library has a set as well.

I had just assumed that the 5 missing films were early ones, and I got the
Kurosawa First Films collection to remedy that.

But as I was organizing reserve book and film matters yesterday, I realized that
the films missing from AK 100 are actually:

Shizukanaru ketto/Quiet Duel
Dersu Uzala
Ran
Rhapsody in August
Dreams

Dersu Uzala, Ran, and Rhapsody in August are readily available separately on
DVD, but I was surprised to find that Quiet Duel and Dreams have become
scarcer items - though I was able to order DVD copies of both.

I realize that I've only seen Quiet Duel on DVD in the older Japanese set of
Kurosawa films. I've never seen an edition with English subtitles. There's just
one, and it's not a Criterion or Eclipse or Fiim Masters edition at all. Our univ.
library does not have a copy, even on VHS (except on DVD in our Qatar Branch,
which turns out to have a great film collection of its own).

I was even more surprised to find that Dreams is becoming harder to get on
DVD. I know it may be available for online rental viewing, but it's good to have
DVD copies as well, I think.

Are these situations re Quiet Duel and Dreams on DVD the result of problems in
getting business rights, or due to some other issue(s)? I had just assumed they
would both be quite readily available in "in print" DVD versions - until yesterday.

Many Thanks,

Michael McC
Georgetown Univ.