The end of mini-theaters?

Alex Zahlten Alex.Zahlten at gmx.de
Sat Jan 8 22:08:56 EST 2011

There does seem to be a market for older films that is supported mostly by older cinephiles - let's not forget there is a demographic in retirement, or going into retirement (and therefore with time on their hands), that grew up when going to the theater was still one of the main forms of entertainment.

Minitheaters are in a lot of hot water right now, and I think there are a lot of reasons for this. The closing down of these theaters (and there are more closures to come) means that choice (in the movie theaters) will be become more narrow. But I think it's important not to idealize minitheaters either. They were very much a part of the bubble era consumer culture, a strategy deliberately used by large corporations and city administrations for designing certain quarters of the city as consumption hubs. And while they supported film culture, they also - as a whole, I'm not talking about specific theaters here - helped push it in the direction of a fashionable and essentially non-political event. Which, of course, eventually goes out of fashion.

Also, the minitheater boom of the 1980s was largely fueled by synergies with the video market; it was common practice to cooperate to gather funds for buying a film, as the emerging video market desperately needed films, and the minitheaters were great for initial advertising. In that sense too, minitheaters helped introduce home viewing, which has now become a big problem.

On the other hand, the financial difficulties minitheaters are experiencing mean that they have trouble buying screening rights for films (both domestic and foreign). In consequence, the last 2 years have seen a big increase in screenings of very low-budget - often jishu - films from Japan, usually as program supplements in early or late shows (as the theaters barely have to pay anything for them). It has never been easier for young directors to get their films screened at theaters in Tokyo right now. Of course, this will not last if the theaters close down...

Alex

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

alex at nipponconnection.de