The end of mini-theaters?

shota ogawa shota.ogawa at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 09:55:10 EST 2011

Could this be attributed to the general shift of young audience's preference
of Japanese films over foreign films?

Also, two summers ago, I was struck by some new cinemas in Tokyo that were
devoted to showing Japanese films mostly from the 50s and 60s, often in
double-bills.

Shinbungeiza in Ikebukuro seems to be run by the Pachinko giant Maruhan.
Both Laputa (ogikubo?) and Cinema Vera (shibuya) are, I think, founded by a
cineaste business man
and a lawyer respectively. Perhaps these cinemas are not new (and the
tradition of meiga-za certainly is not), but
does anyone know if these Meiga-za are doing relatively well?

shota

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 9:26 AM, amy loa <amyloart at gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh my god!
> That is a really bad news. What is happening in this world. Seems all the
> lovely things are disappearing;-(
> Should not we do something to save what we love???
>

> 2011/1/8 Aaron Gerow <aaron.gerow at yale.edu>
>
> The news services announce that Cine Saison, one of the most important
>> mini-theaters in Tokyo since the 1980s, will be closing at the end of
>> February. This follows the announcement about the Ebisu Garden Cinema, which
>> will close at the end of this month. While both specialized in foreign
>> films, the news only adds to speculations and fears that mini-theaters, one
>> of the only venues for alternative foreign and domestic cinema in Japan
>> against the stranglehold of the multiplexes, are dying off.
>>
>> Aaron Gerow
>> KineJapan owner
>>
>> Associate Professor
>> Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
>> Yale University
>>
>> For list commands, send "information kinejapan" to
>> listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
>> Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html
>>

> --
> Whatever is worth doing at all is worth doing well.

Shota Ogawa
Ph.D. Student
Graduate Program in Visual and Cultural Studies
424 Morey Hall
University of Rochester
Rochester, NY 14627
Eastman-eiga (Japanese) <http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Eastman-eiga/>