One-off Kurosawa Hat Question

mccaskem at georgetown.edu mccaskem at georgetown.edu
Thu Jan 6 13:16:07 EST 2011

Since we got into the area of clothing with respect to film, it seems an
appropriate time to ask about Kurosawa's trademark hat. I've always wondered.

It's sold today as the "Kurosawa Marine Cap"

http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/ishiihat/91b.html

But it is somewhat reminiscent of a pre-war Japanese Naval Officer's Cap

http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/ishiihat/m-400.html

I once attempted some research on the subject, and it seemed that, according to
Japanese sources, perhaps this kind of Japanese cap was originally modeled after
a cap that Prince Heinrich (brother of Wilhelm II) wore in a famous yacht race
against King Edward VII. That seems arcane to me.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Prinz-Heinrich-Muetze.jpg

This does not appear much different from a Greek fisherman's cap, which seems
quite different from the Kurosawa Model.

If someone knows the origin of the Kurosawa Hat, it would be great to find out
what it really was. Was this a common cap in the old days? One does not see
anyone wearing this kind of cap these days, though apparently you can still buy
and wear one if you really wish to.

Many Thanks,

Michael McCaskey
GU