Schoolgirl Apocalypse sneak at FCCJ

Eija Niskanen eija.niskanen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 12:19:13 EDT 2011

Dear KineJapanners,

We have another sneak preview opportunity at the Foreign
Correspondents' Club of Japan on Wed., August 10, at 7 pm. We are also
invited to the Meet the Filmmaker cocktail party from 6 pm, which is
just ¥1,260. You can attend the screening without attending the
cocktail party.

The FCCJ is a private club, so you must reserve through Karen Severns
if you’d like to attend the film and/or party: kjs30 at gol.com

http://www.fccj.or.jp/node/6791

SNEAK PREVIEW SCREENING
Followed by a Q&A session with writer-director John Cairns and
producer Yukie Kito
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 24   7 pm  20th floor

SCHOOLGIRL APOCALYPSE (Seirafuku Mokushiroku)
Japan, 2011  86 minutes  In Japanese with English subtitles

Writer-Director: John Cairns
Produced by: Yukie Kito
Executive Producers: Daniel Isaacsen and Yojiro Suzuki
Cast: Higarino, Mai Tsujimoto, Max Mackenzie

Film courtesy of Lantis

The Movie Committee continues testing new cinematic waters. Following
our first-ever screening of a pink film in July, we have been
emboldened to present our first-ever “social commentary on gender,
race and language all effectively disguised as a zombie-horror film,”
as critic Jongsuk Thomas Nam put it. The news value? It features an
award-winning producer working with an American director and
bi-national cast in Japan, it world-premiered last month to great
acclaim at the Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival, and even
more importantly, it is a genre film. The dirty little secret about
international distribution deals for Japanese films is that genre
sells best: sex and violence transcend language barriers, thus
promising higher profits than even an Oscar for Best Foreign Language
Film.

Besides, if Japan’s traditional ghost stories send a delicious shiver
down your spine, join us for “Schoolgirl Apocalypse.” It’s sure to
send the summer heat screaming from the room.

A Japanese schoolgirl, Sakura (Higarino), finds her average life in a
small town turned inside out when all the males start attacking and
killing females. With few skills, and only her kyudo bow and an
English textbook in her survival kit, Sakura sets out on a journey
through a dark world of mayhem. The trauma of witnessing the murders
of her friends and family gradually drives her toward madness, and she
begins taking refuge in an animated dreamworld. There she meets a
foreign boy, Billy (Mackenzie), who helps her narrowly escape death
until she can find him in the real world. But she also finds her most
formidable foe yet, Aoi (Tsujimoto), a woman who seems programmed to
kill. Why is all this happening, and who or what is behind it? Sakura
must overcome her fear—and get her hands really bloody dirty—to find
the answers.

“Schoolgirl Apocalypse” opens later this year in Japan, but you can
see it at FCCJ first.

Please join Mr. Cairns and Ms. Kito, as well as the stars of the film,
for a glass of wine and light snacks at our Meet the Filmmakers
Cocktail Party, from 6:00 – 6:55 pm. The cocktail party is ¥1,260
(incl. tax). Space is limited to the first thirty (30) people to sign
up at the FCCJ Reception Desk (3211-3161). On August 24, please pick
up your ticket at the front desk from 6:00 pm, and join us in the
Anteroom. Cancellations received after noon on the day of the
screening will be charged in full.

You may attend the film without attending the cocktail party. Please
make your reservations at the FCCJ Reception Desk (3211-3161) to allow
for seating arrangements. All movie screenings are private,
noncommercial events restricted to FCCJ members and their guests.

Karen Severns, Edwin Karmiol, Movie Committee

--
Eija Niskanen
080-3479-8475