Is US media sensationalizing the nuclear angle

Joseph Murphy murphy7312 at ufl.edu
Mon Mar 21 00:40:05 EDT 2011

Dear Colleagues,
One of the most interesting things about being in Japan during a
global event, is seeing the difference between how it is reported in
Japan, and how it is reported in Europe and America.  I've heard, from
many of my colleagues in the Japan studies field, a similar take, that
the US media is overplaying the nuclear angle. I'm no fan of the US
media, but as an engineer, I am frankly appalled.  If article after
article, and expert after expert are asserting that there is
absolutely no danger  outside the immediate vicinity, they are wrong.
While the acute effects of a worst-case scenario involving
catastrophic release of gamma radiation would be confined to a 20-30
km radius, the possible long-term effects are serious, and reach much
further.  You've got 3 different primary contaminants (iodine, cesium,
strontium), with 3 different half-lives, and 2 different possible ways
of diffusion (air and water).  In a serious meltdown, airborne
contamination could certainly reach Tokyo within hours, depending on
prevailing winds (do we really want to put our eggs in the offshore
wind basket), contaminants fall on the ground where they are absorbed
by plants, animals eat the plants, it's in the food supply, popping up
potentially anywhere in the country, for years.  This is not a one in
a million scenario, it was one in twenty at times last week for
Fukushima Dai-ichi.
That's largely iodine contamination, which dissipates to safe levels
in 6 months.  Cesium and Strontium, with much longer half-lives, are
around for 100's of years at dangerous levels.  The cesium and
strontium plume from Chernobyl is currently nearing the Kiev water
table.  The lump of radioactive material from a meltdown sits there
for centuries.  The surrounding 30 km area would be a no-persons' land.

The engineers at Fukushima Dai-ichi worked heroically, they have so
much pride in their plants they will risk their lives, but the fact
that multiple personnel died, and 50+ endured life-threatening levels
of radiation, say clearly that this was not under control.  The
industry plans based on insurance actuarial tables for 100 year
scenarios, that is the legal obligation to their shareholders.  Then a
1000 year scenario visits, as geological time is likely to do.

Anyway, unlike Hurricane Andrew, unlike Katrina, unlike the earthquake
and tsunami in Indonesia, the relief effort in Japan was compounded
over the first week by an escalating, potentially catastrophic nuclear
crisis, that could itself affect all aspects of recovery, from
infrastructure to food production.  The downplaying of this I've seen
on Japan studies lists which 20 years ago would have been resolutely
anti-nuclear is fascinating.  Possibly a tactical downplaying because
of the way this could be used to ramp up fossil-fuel consumption,
maybe a theoretical problem with seeing Japan's natural disasters as
"particularly" technical.  But they don't seem to proceed from a
serious analysis of the situation at the plant.
yours,
J. Murphy

On Mar 18, 2011, at 4:23 AM, Lindsay Nelson wrote:

> As someone who has been in Tokyo since August (currently in Kyoto to
> have a bit of a break from the aftershocks), I can say a few things.
>
> 1. The nuclear power plant story is being ridiculously
> sensationalized in the American media. Article after article and
> expert after expert have declared that there is absolutely no danger
> to anyone outside the immediate vicinity of the plant, and yet the
> major news outlets ignore these stories and continue to vamp up the
> fear. Worse, they do this at the expense of reporting on the real
> crisis, which is the 400,000 + people in the northeast who have
> limited food, water, and shelter and are already dying as a result.
>
> 2. Many people have made the decision to leave--at least
> temporarily--for a variety of reasons. Aftershocks were constant for
> the first 24 hours after the quake, and they continue even now. I
> personally have not slept much at all for the past week--partially
> because of the stress of the aftershocks, and partially because I
> have been dealing with frantic, panicked family members who were
> horrified that I hadn't fled the city. I also worried about
> blackouts as my only heater is electric, it's getting very cold, and
> kerosene / space heaters are completely sold out. I've left for a
> few days to get some sleep and try to re-group, but I plan to
> return. The bottom line is that even if there is no danger from the
> power plant, there are plenty of other reasons why people might
> choose to leave. And given the changing nature of the power plant
> situation and the huge amount of conflicting information available,
> I can understand why some people would be concerned enough to leave.
>
> 3. Regarding film archives and screenings--for the most part it's
> business as usual in Tokyo. The scheduled blackouts have been
> avoided so far because people are doing a great job of conserving
> energy. Some universities have postponed classes and some smaller
> companies have shut down to allow their employees to spend time with
> their families, but most places are up and running. Very few
> Japanese are leaving the city (the shinkansen were crowded today as
> I headed for Kyoto, but Monday is a national holiday, so that's not
> too surprising). If regular blackouts become a necessity this will
> of course impact daily life considerably, but for now other than
> slightly reduced train service, a gasoline shortage, and shortages
> of items like bread, milk, and rice (really just the result of over-
> buying, not an actual shortage), Tokyo seems pretty normal to me.
>
> I provide informal updates about the situation on the ground and
> links to helpful articles at http://gradland.wordpress.com.
>
> --Lindsay Nelson
>
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 12:03 AM, Quentin Turnour <Quentin.Turnour at nfsa.gov.au
> > wrote:
>
> William,
>
> Perhaps to shift things just to the issue of film archives...Thanks
> [...]

Assoc. Professor and Assoc. Chair
Dept. of Languages, Literatures and Cultures
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL 32601-5565
www.clas.ufl.edu/users/murphy7312