the eerie silence on KineJapan is maddening!

Mark Roberts mroberts37 at mail-central.com
Fri Mar 18 04:00:28 EDT 2011

William,

I would guess that the recent silence on KineJapan is mostly because
people are caught up following the situation in Japan, and trying to
begin to digest the scope of the disaster. As Paul and Maria have
said, there is a fair amount of confusion about what's actually going
on, the nuclear crisis is both alarming and fluid, and it takes a fair
amount of time to sort and sift through various media sources. But the
mood in Tokyo is much calmer, I think, than you would believe from
reading the news in Europe or America.

Many foreigners in Japan are taking short trips to Kansai, but the
same does not appear true for Japanese. An "evacuation of the capital"
would be very unlikely, but the Western media somehow makes it seem
possible. At this moment, I would not worry about the disaster having
a dramatic impact on Japanese film heritage. As Ayako said: the NFC
may be closed but the collection as a whole is probably not in danger.
(And thank you, Quentin, for the link to the FPS news feed!).

Right now, the main disruption in Tokyo seems to be the teiden
(rolling blackouts), which have reduced power and train service. As a
consequence, many offices and businesses are on limited schedules.
Many schools and universities as well. While the nuclear crisis is
serious and worrisome, no significant radiation has been detected in
Tokyo. One of my friends here found two Geiger counters on the
Internet, one in Chiba and one in West Los Angeles, and the one in
L.A. is actually showing more(!) radiation. Again, this could could
change, but what the Tokyo counters seem to show right now is pretty
much normal background radiation.

Unfortunately, the earthquake disaster is going to have a significant
economic impact, and this may affect funding for film culture, both
public and private. I would be curious to hear what others think about
this. At a broader level, though, there could be some positive
dimensions. E.g., there will be a large population of refugees (bad),
but this could fuel calls to outlaw reikin, or revision of tenant
policies and parasitic real estate management (potentially good).

Finally, I really hope that discussion of the Great Tohoku Quake and
Japanese Cinema, and information updates can continue to appear here
on KineJapan. I hope others will agree with me that streams of twitter
blurts are not an adequate substitute for an e-mail list like KJ. I'm
not really interested in the subtleties of ethical tweeting, where
tweeters are going for lunch, etc.

Best,

Mark Roberts
Research Fellow, University of Tokyo Center for Philosophy
http://utcp.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp/members/data/mark_roberts/index_en.php