the eerie silence on KineJapan is maddening!

Frederick Veith notreconciled at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 01:39:05 EDT 2011

Don,

I'm sorry you took my remarks that way. That's certainly not how they
were intended. I didn't mention his name because I had no intention to
attack him personally, but only address the substance of the comment
which I thought was, at a minimum pretty insensitive. I posted my
thoughts about it here only because the account in question was cited
as a resource here and there was an incipient discussion of how people
were responding. Perhaps it was an error in judgment on my part to
single out that remark, but I fail to see how it's cowardly to make
remarks in a public forum under my own name, where they can be freely
responded to by anyone who so chooses, including the author of the
comment. I'm not sure what to make of the idea that there's such a
hard and fast distinction between a "private" Twitter account and a
public forum. Twitter is a publishing platform. Anything said there is
completely public unless the individual account is protected. Twitter
is, if anything, more public than KineJapan. But my apologies to Jason
if he's offended by what I thought was a rather gentle criticism. My
main point was to remind people that now is a time when people, even
those not in direct peril, are in need of compassion.

Best regards,

Frederick Veith