earliest translation of Pudovkin in Japan?

Weihong Bao whjbao at gmail.com
Sun May 15 19:52:03 EDT 2011

Thank you so much, Jonathan, for your speedy reply!

I am writing a section (for my book manuscript) on montage theory in China
in the 1930s and I was trying to find out whether there is a Japanese
connection for the introduction of Pudovkin's film theory in China.

Pudovkin's "On Film Technique" was translated in China in 1932, although I
found a Chinese writer discussing Pudovkin's own introduction to the German
edition, which is not included in the Chinese translation.
The writer himself is fluent in Japanese, so I would be very interested to
find out when and from which language Pudovkin's book is translated into
Japanese.

best wishes,
Weihong