Equipment and ratios

Stefan Nutz nuzumaki at gmx.net
Sat May 7 15:59:38 EDT 2011

Dear List,

Yesterday, when watching Lead Tombstone by Wakamatsu Koji here at the Far East Film Festival, I recognised that some if the night scenes were extremly soft and sometimes out of focus as well.
As the aspect ratio was 2.35 Cinemascope I was wondering where to get more information on how and with which equipment Wakamatsu shot this film.
I know that the older anamorphic lenses, made in Russia, named Lomo (used by Kubrick, Solaris), have been unsharp unless not stopped down to a certain higher exposure level. Which leads me towards the conclusion that Wakamtsu shot on Russian lenses.

Still I was wondering, as Japan was also a producer for anamorphic, which equipment has been used in the 60's ad later.

Is there literature on that subject?
Jasper, do you have any idea? I know you have done a lot of research regarding this.

All the best,

Stefan