JSPS Summer Programme

Jessica Langer jessicalanger at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 24 20:33:11 EST 2011

Dear all,

I thought I'd send a note to the list regarding the JSPS Summer Programme,
to which applications are due fairly soon (Jan 15 for the UK section). I am
not associated with the JSPS but I am a former Summer Programme fellow
(2007) and it was a wonderful opportunity to get to the NFC in Tokyo.
Though the JSPS primarily funds scientific research, they do also fund
research in the humanities, and I believe they are actively seeking
humanities researchers for the Programme. My own summer research, completed
at Meiji Gakuin under the supervision of Ayako Saito, was in Japanese
science fiction cinema.

I am reproducing below the email from Polly Watson, the International
Programme Coordinator for JSPS London, though fellowships are also
available in the US, Canada, Germany and France I believe, so if you are of
one of these nationalities and wish to apply, you should look up the JSPS
website for your country.

The Summer Programme was an amazing experience for me and I would love to
see another list member have the opportunity to go!

All the best
Jessica

*JSPS Summer Programme Call for Applications*

* *

*Programme Duration: 12 June to 22 August 2012*

* *

*Closing Date for applications: 15 January 2012*

* *

We would like to inform you that the call for our 2012 Summer Programme is
now open.

Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) is the leading research
funding agency in Japan, established by the Japanese Government for the
purpose of contributing to the advancement of science.

The JSPS Summer Programme allows early career researchers to visit Japan
for a set period over the Summer and includes an orientation in Japanese
culture as well as the opportunity to conduct collaborative research
activities with leading research groups at Japanese Universities and
research institutions. Eligible applicants must be of UK nationality or
permanent residence and be of graduate student status (Master or PhD) or
recent PhD holders based at a university or research institution in the UK.

Eligible research fields are not limited: computer, engineering, health,
biological, life, natural and physical sciences, mathematics, humanities
and social sciences etc.

Applications from UK researchers are to be sent to the British Council
Tokyo by 15 January 2012.

*Application guidelines and form are available from here:
http://www.britishcouncil.org/japan-science-research.htm *

If possible we would like to ask you to advertise this award on your
website or similarly, please forward this information to any eligible and
interested parties.

If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact us
at the JSPS London Office on 020-7255-4660 or by e mail to enquire at jsps.org

With kind regards,

Polly Watson

Polly Watson

International Programme Coordinator

Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) London

14 Stephenson Way, London NW1 2HD

Tel: +44-(0)20-7255-4660

Fax: +44-(0)20-7255-4669

E-mail: polly at jsps.org