Ainu actors in prewar Japanese film

Quentin Turnour Quentin.Turnour at nfsa.gov.au
Fri Sep 9 22:29:03 EDT 2011

My sidebar turns into a supplementary question: does any of the very early
Ainu footage you mention survive? I know the survival rate for Lumiere
titles is quite high, but whilst some tiles survive with Japanese scenes,
I've not seen any title that indicates Hokkaido or Ainu footage.

Then - whilst my French is better than my Japanese - it's still not good
enough to fully access French-language Lumiere scholarship.

QT

Quentin Turnour, Programmer,
Access, Research and Development
National Film and Sound Archive, Australia
McCoy Circuit, Acton,
ACT, 2601 AUSTRALIA
phone: +61 2 6248 2054  |  fax: + 61 2 6249 8159
www.nfsa.gov.au
[Please note that I am often absent Mondays]

Film prints shipped to:
NATIONAL FILM AND SOUND ARCHIVE OF AUSTRALIA
att: Cinema Programming
McCoy Circuit Acton Canberra
ACT 2601 AUSTRALIA
+61 2 6248 2289 / cynthia.piromalli at nfsa.gov.au (Please email all invoices
to this address)

The National Film and Sound Archive collects, preserves and provides
access to Australia's historic and contemporary moving image and recorded
sound culture.

Maria Jose Gonzalez <tkarsavina at yahoo.com>
Sent by: owner-KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
09/09/2011 07:10 PM
Please respond to
KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu

"KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu" <KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu>
cc

Subject
Re: Ainu actors in prewar Japanese film

Something else I forgot to mention,Makino Productions "Ainu no Musume"
from 1927,most likely without any Ainu in it although as Aaron has already
mentioned,any existing actor of Ainu origin would have concealed their
origins and in any case during the Meiji period most people had been
forced to adopt Japanese names.
Actor Takashi Ukajo surprised the media by confessing he was actually of
Ainu origin when he was already 46 a few years ago!

http://www.jmdb.ne.jp/1927/bc003810.htm