Ainu actors in prewar Japanese film

Quentin Turnour Quentin.Turnour at nfsa.gov.au
Mon Sep 5 01:43:05 EDT 2011

 Maybe not strictly relevant, but have you seen the footage from Benjamin
Brodsky's A TRIP THROUGH JAPAN WITH THE YWCA which includes 1919 shots of
the Ainu community? The NFSA recently restored it in collaboration with
the National Film Preservation Foundation in the US. See
http://www.filmpreservation.org/preserved-films/screening-room/a-trip-through-japan-with-the-ywca-ca-1919

I mention this as we are curious to know if there is any earlier surviving
material which shows Ainu community, whether drama or actuality?

Quentin Turnour, Programmer,
Access, Research and Development
National Film and Sound Archive, Australia
McCoy Circuit, Acton,
ACT, 2601 AUSTRALIA
phone: +61 2 6248 2054  |  fax: + 61 2 6249 8159
www.nfsa.gov.au
[Please note that I am often absent Mondays]

Film prints shipped to:
NATIONAL FILM AND SOUND ARCHIVE OF AUSTRALIA
att: Cinema Programming
McCoy Circuit Acton Canberra
ACT 2601 AUSTRALIA
+61 2 6248 2289 / cynthia.piromalli at nfsa.gov.au (Please email all invoices
to this address)

The National Film and Sound Archive collects, preserves and provides
access to Australia's historic and contemporary moving image and recorded
sound culture.

Peter Larson <pslarson2 at gmail.com>
Sent by: owner-KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
03/09/2011 01:01 PM
Please respond to
KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu

KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
cc

Subject
Ainu actors in prewar Japanese film

Hello all,

This will be an odd question, but does anyone know if there were any
Ainu actors in prewar Japanese film? I have seen a couple of silents
recently which featured actors that look like they might, in fact, be
of Ainu decent, though I could just be seeing things. The western
looking man in Naruse's "No Blood Relation" (1932) comes to mindPardon
me if this is an odd question.

Pete