Japan in Cannes

Mark Mays tetsuwan at comcast.net
Fri Apr 20 13:23:11 EDT 2012

Sorry for using “theme” and “plot” as if they were interchangeable. Not what I meant. But if Kiarostami does take on a hackneyed plot device and does his usual great work, does that mean I should necessarily be more interested in seeing the film? Perhaps . . . definitely if I’m an auteurist. I could just go re-watch Werkmeister Harmonies if the visual arts are the only value I’m after. Story is important to me. Theme and plot are important to me, and whether the production team (not simply the director) can communicate those things visually. Concerns, like matters related to cultural issues many of my critic friends cast aside as unimportant are important to me. I don’t watch Borzage. It’s about my choice as a consumer, not as a critic.

It isn’t simply that he chose a hackneyed plot device, this is case specific. Why this one?