Japan in Cannes

Pete Larson pslarson2 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 15:39:23 EDT 2012

Personally, I'm intrigued, simply because I like Kiarostami.

The seeming dismissal is interesting, however. To what extent to
countries "own" their cinemas? I can see where it might be important in
a less well established national cinema (the Indonesian film "The Raid"
comes to mind), but in the case of Japan, I don't think it's important
at all. I doubt that anyone would question the "American-ness" of a
Hollywood film directed by, say, Ang Lee.

Sad to say that I missed Norwegian Wood at the Michigan Theater
recently, speaking of.

Pete