Noburo Ofuji at Cannes 1953 / Venice 1956

Jasper Sharp jasper_sharp at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 4 11:39:59 EDT 2012

Hi Cathy,
I have to confess that I to some extent have spread this misinformation, if it is indeed that, through my writings on early animation from Japan - namely the Pioneers of Anime article I wrote for Midnight Eye back in 2003/4. This information would have originally have come from the NFC publications to accompany their seasons, and similarly the PiFAN film festival catalogue, as they did an early anime retro  the same year, I believe it was 2004 - trying to hunt down the catalogue but its hidden somewhere in a big inaccessible pile. Anyway, I simply replicated this info in the want of any other writing about anime of this period at the time, but did not cross-check with French records.I think the best person to consult on this would be Jonathan Clements, co-author of The Anime Encyclopedia (with Helen McCarthy) - he's been researching this period in some detail recently, although he's not on the Kinejapan list, I believe (though easy enough to track down on Facebook).As soon a!
 s I can access this particular bookshelf, which is currently hidden behind a pile of boxes, I'll look for what I have that was published in this period.Either way, I've never seen either of the films, but would love to.cheers,
Jasper

My new book, The Historical Dictionary of Japanese Cinema, is out now from Scarecrow Press.
Jasper Sharp: Writer & Film Curator Homepage
http://jaspersharp.com/

Midnight Eye: The Latest and Best in Japanese Cinema
http://www.midnighteye.com

Zipangu Fest: Japanarchy in the UK
http://zipangufest.com/