Benshi image inquiry from Cabinet Magazine

faith faithbach at yahoo.co.jp
Tue Apr 3 23:49:11 EDT 2012

Dan,
benshi are still working.  just a thought but you might try Sawato Midori, japan's senior benshi, at

http://www.sawatomidori.com/eng/index.html

good luck.
FB

--- On Tue, 2012/4/3, Dan Cooper <dan at cabinetmagazine.org> wrote:

Hello KineJapan.

I'm writing from Cabinet magazine, a non-profit art and culture
> quarterly based in New York (www.cabinetmagazine.org). Our upcoming issue
> features an essay on the history of silent films, subtitling, and early
> forms of narration, including benshi. We're trying to hunt down images
> of benshi in the act of narrating films, and we're having a fairly
> difficult time locating images of this nature.

           I have briefly perused the Makino collection and been in touch
with Matsuda to little end.  The Makino collection is still in the process
of being cataloged and without any Japanese language skills, my search is
largely unorganized and even the immense help that Beth, the collection's
archivist, has given, I'm still wandering around in the dark.   If anyone
knows where in Makino's collection I might focus my search your help would
be greatly appreciated.  Any other information you may have on the
whereabouts of benshi images or resources would also be excellent.

Thank you for reading through my few requests and for letting me post to
your listserv.

All the best,
Dan

--
Dan Cooper
Cabinet magazine, Editorial Assistant
email: dan at cabinetmagazine.org
http://www.cabinetmagazine.org

Join our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/CabinetMagazine

Cabinet is published by Immaterial Incorporated, a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization. Cabinet receives generous support from the Orphiflamme Foundation, the Lambent Foundation, the National Endowment for the Arts, the New York State Council on the Arts, the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, and the Katchadourian Family Foundation.