Sound on Tsuchimoto Afghan films

Justin Jesty justin.jesty at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 23:03:12 EST 2012

Dear Roger,

In terms of a source, the book "Dokyumentarii no umi e - kiroku eiga
sakka Tsuchimoto Noriaki to no taiwa," might be helpful for you.

I've just been glancing through the sections on Tsuchimoto's
Afghanistan films, and it confirms that the reason those two films
don't have original sound is that the audio tape was lost. The first
film ("Mou hitotsu no Afuganisutan Kaaburu nikki 1985 nen") was shot
in 1985, and the second about the Kabul museum was shot in 1988.
Apparently neither was released at the time, and when Tsuchimoto went
back to them over a decade later he couldn't find the sound tape.

I haven't seen "Afghan Spring" either so I can't make any reliable
comments, but it seems that that film was shot in 1988, so it might
not be correct to think of the 1985 film as footage that didn't make
it into the 1988 one. As far as I can tell from reading about it,
"Afghan Spring" has original sound.

Hope that helps
Justin