Support requested for Ogawa Box Set, 20 years on

Nornes, Markus amnornes at umich.edu
Sat Feb 11 17:25:41 EST 2012

This being the 20th death anniversary of Ogawa Shinsuke, there was a symposium in his honor at Atene this week. I appeared, along with Ota Masakuni and Thierry Lounas. Ota had vast experience with radical collectives in Latin America, and had watched Ogawa's films in situ.  Lounas (a former critic of Cahiers and Straub-Huillet producer) had no experience or knowledge―he spoke as someone who only learned about Ogawa's existence before they put him in front of a stack of DVDs to do homework for this event. It was a somewhat odd lineup, but a nice evening.

Afterwards, I had an interesting conversation with the owner of the rights to the Ogawa Pro films. I see an opening for creating a box set of all the Ogawa Pro films. Before I approach distributors, I want to collect messages of support that can indicate both their historical importance and also hint that there is a market for more than a disk or two.

I you are able and willing, send me a short message of support (directly to amnornes at umich.edu, OFFLINE, please!).

Markus