Japanese musicals in the 30s and 40s

Jasper Sharp jasper_sharp at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 3 11:24:51 EST 2012

One musical I know about was one of the one of the first ever sound films in Japan, and the first feature film produced by P.C.L..Musical Comedy: Intoxicated Life (Ongaku kigeki: Horoyoi jinsei) was directed by Kimura Sotoji and released in 1933.It was sponsored by Dai-Nippon Beer, and features a lot of singing, dancing, and somewhat inevitably - drinking!
My new book, The Historical Dictionary of Japanese Cinema, is out now from Scarecrow Press.
Jasper Sharp: Writer & Film Curator Homepage
http://jaspersharp.com/

Midnight Eye: The Latest and Best in Japanese Cinema
http://www.midnighteye.com

Zipangu Fest: Japanarchy in the UK
http://zipangufest.com/