Anime Machine Prize!

Mark Nornes amnornes at umich.edu
Fri Mar 30 12:02:22 EDT 2012

Congratulations to Tom!

Markus

The 2nd EAJS Book Prize: Announcement of winners

The European Association for Japanese Studies has the honour to award the 2nd EAJS Book Prize for the most outstanding outstanding publications in the field of Japanese Studies. We are sorry to have kept you waiting for so long, but making the choice has been very difficult, since so many excellent works have been nominated.

The winner of the 2nd EAJS Book Prize is Thomas LaMarre with "The Anime Machine: a Media Theory of Animation" published in 2009. The EAJS Council believes that this brilliant and compelling work significanlty enhances our understanding of Japanese popular culture and brings its theory to a new level. As a result, it is one of the most eloquent and powerful studies of Japanese animation published in the last years.

We have also decided to award two equal second prizes. One of them goes to Christopher Gerteis. With his book "Gender Struggles: Wage-earning Women and Male-Dominated Unions in Postwar Japan" he chooses a fresh approach towards Japanese trade unions by shedding a new light on them by using a gender perspective. This is creative and innovative. His most interesting idea is to interpret the wage negotiations of trade unions in the '50s - which have hitherto been associated with good performance due to overall wage increase - as having contributed to the de facto increasing wage gap between male and female workers.

The other second prize winner is Mara Patessio with her book "Women and Public Life in Early Meiji Japan". It constitutes a remarkable contribution in the fields of Meiji society and women's history. It gives an innovative perspective on the role played by women in shaping Meiji culture and society. The academic rigour, the interdisciplinary approach as well as the innovative nature of this study are outstanding.

Let me be the first to congratulate the winners wholeheartedly, and wish the very best of luck also to other nominees.

With best wishes to all,

Rein Raud
EAJS President