[KineJapan] Seasons in the Sun: The Heyday of Nikkatsu Studios retrospective throughout June at the BFI Southbank

Jasper Sharp jasper_sharp at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 4 08:23:19 EDT 2013

Dear listmembers,
I just wanted to draw the attention of any potentially interested parties to a season of Japanese films produced by Nikkatsu Studios throughout the 1950s and 1960s which I have curated and which is running at the BFI Southbank this month. The retrospective features works by Shohei Imamura and Seijun Suzuki, as well as a host of directors not so well known in the West. It is an attempt to get beyond the auteur-driven approach that has dominated studies of Japan's cinema, and to introduce accessible popular films to reach out to audiences put off by its reputation for gloom, artiness and seriousness.
Sight and Sound online has just published a piece I wrote to accompany the season:
http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/sight-sound-magazine/features/second-youth-golden-age-nikkatsu-studios

I hope some of you will be curious enough to come and see some truly wonderful films that you may never get the chance to see on 35mm ever again.
Best
Jasper Sharp
Seasons in the Sun: The Heyday of Nikkatsu Studios retrospective at the BFI Southbank, curated by Jasper Sharp coming up in June 2013

My new book, The Historical Dictionary of Japanese Cinema, is out now from Scarecrow Press
Midnight Eye - Visions of Japanese cinema
http://www.midnighteye.com

Jasper Sharp, writer & film curatorhttp://jaspersharp.com/