[KineJapan] John Sturges 1958 "Old Man and the Sea" in Japan

Markus Nornes amnornes at umich.edu
Thu Sep 19 16:00:38 EDT 2013

Bruce,

The book you want to check is this one:

http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/54979203

Harvard has it.

Cheers,

Markus

PS: For these kinds of questions, you can check out Aaron and my Research
Guide to Japanese Film Studies. It will usually have the route you are
looking for.

舶来キネマ作品辞典. 戦後篇. I : 日本で戦後(19145-1988)に上映された外国映画一覧(I) = Complete dictionary
of [imported movies] from August 1945 to December 1988 /
Hakurai kinema sakuhin jiten. Sengo hen. I : Nihon de sengo (1945-1988) ni
jōei sareta gaikoku eiga ichiran (I) = Complete dictionary of [imported
movies] from August 1945 to December 1988Author:世界映画史硏究会編. ; ; Sekai
Eigashi Kenkyūkai.<http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=au%3ASekai+Eigashi+Kenkyu%CC%84kai.&qt=hot_author>
Publisher:科学書院 : 発売元霞ヶ関出版, Tōkyō : Kagaku Shoin : Hatsubaimoto
Kasumigaseki Shuppan,
2004.Series:<http://www.worldcat.org/title/hakurai-kinema-sakuhin-jiten-sengo-hen-i-nihon-de-sengo-1945-1988-ni-joei-sareta-gaikoku-eiga-ichiran-i-complete-dictionary-of-imported-movies-from-august-1945-to-december-1988/oclc/54979203&referer=brief_results#>Sekai,
Nihon eiga sakuhin jiten
shirīzu<http://www.worldcat.org/search?qt=hotseries&q=se%3A%22Sekai%2C+Nihon+eiga+sakuhin+jiten+shiri%CC%84zu%22>,
dai 4-shū.Edition/Format: Book : Japanese : ShohanView all editions and
formats<http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/54979203/editions?editionsView=true&referer=di>
Database:WorldCatRating:

(not yet rated) 0 with reviews - Be the
first.<http://www.worldcat.org/title/hakurai-kinema-sakuhin-jiten-sengo-hen-i-nihon-de-sengo-1945-1988-ni-joei-sareta-gaikoku-eiga-ichiran-i-complete-dictionary-of-imported-movies-from-august-1945-to-december-1988/oclc/54979203&referer=brief_results#reviews>
Subjects

   - Motion pictures -- Dictionaries --
Japanese.<http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=su%3AMotion+pictures+Dictionaries+Japanese.&qt=hot_subject>
   - Eiga-Mokuroku.<http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=su%3AEiga-Mokuroku.&qt=hot_subject>

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 9:36 AM, Jasper Sharp <jasper_sharp at hotmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Bruce,
>
> I'd second allcinema.net for U.S. release dates. Also you can check the
> relevant volume of Eigan nenkan's for the year in question, and finally,
> most (if not all) foreign releases are documented in :
>
> Tanaka, Junichiro. *Nihon eiga hattatsu shi I-V *(*Developments in
> Japanese Film **History*, vols. I–V, 日本映画発達史 I-V).Tokyo: Chuo Koronsha,
> 1957 (reprint 1980).
>
> Best,
>
> Jasper
>

> *The Creeping Garden <http://www.creepinggarden.com/> - A Real-Life
> Science-Fiction Story about Slime Moulds and the People Who Work With them.
> **Currently in production, directed by Tim Grabham and Jasper Sharp. *
>
> *The **Historical Dictionary of Japanese Cinema *(2011) is out now from Scarecrow
> Press <https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810857957>
>
> *Midnight Eye - Visions of Japanese cinema*
> http://www.midnighteye.com
>
> *Jasper Sharp, writer & film curator*
> http://jaspersharp.com/
>
> ------------------------------
> Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 01:50:00 -0400
> From: raine.michael.j at gmail.com
> To: kinejapan at lists.service.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: Re: [KineJapan] John Sturges 1958 "Old Man and the Sea" in Japan
>

> Hello Bruce,
>
> allcinema.net has October 25, 1958. There's a book called 20世紀アメリカ映画事典 :
> 1914-2000 日本公開作品記錄 that lists all the US films in the order the appeared, I
> think. I don't remember if it gives the actual release date. Short of that,
> you could look at Kinema junpo for that month and see if the film is
> listed.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Michael
>

> On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 1:05 AM, Bruce Baird <baird at umass.edu> wrote:
>
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I am hoping to tap the wisdom of this list to save myself some legwork.
>
> I am considering an April 1959 dance performance "Old Man and the
> Sea" choreographed by Ono Kazuo with a script by Ikemiya Nobuo.  I would
> like to know if the 1958 John Sturges movie "Old Man and the Sea" starring
> Spencer Tracy screened in Japan (Tokyo Yokohama area) sometime before Nov.
> 1958 or else before April 1959? IMBD gives the release date of the Sturges
> movie as October 7 for the New York premier, Oct. 11 for general US
> release, and Oct. 21, 1958 as the Japan release date. Is this a trustworthy
> source?
>
> Can anyone suggest a source for double checking the Japanese release date
> and location of the movie?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Bruce
>

>  Bruce Baird
> Associate Professor
> Asian Languages and Literatures
> University of Massachusetts Amherst
> Butô, Japanese Theater, Intellectual History
>
> 717 Herter Hall
> 161 Presidents Drive
> University of Massachusetts Amherst
> Amherst, MA 01003-9312
> [...]

*Markus Nornes*
Chair, Department of Screen Arts and Cultures
Professor of Asian Cinema, Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
Professor, School of Art & Design

*Department of Screen Arts and Cultures*
*6348 North Quad*
*105 S. State Street*
*Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1285*