[KineJapan] End of "Cool" Japan Workshop; Ann Arbor

Rob Buscher robbuscher at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 6 11:25:32 EDT 2014

I agree that is a common criticism of Gaijin studying Japan in any discipline, but I'm not sure that was the sole (read most relevant) intent of the academic's question at AAS. I think it had more to do with our role as academics in shaping perceptions of Japan.

I agree with Michael that these materials do have a place in the classroom, but only when properly contextualized. Otherwise we run the risk of playing into "weird" Japan coverage that Western media so adores. For the majority of people on this list who have devoted their professional careers to the study of Japan this is a given, but many of our students are coming into the classroom with this mentality.

To the extent that Cool Japan can be associated with the ever shifting perceptions of Japanese popular culture, this panel had the unintended consequence of linking Japan with manga that are widely considered sexually deviant abroad. To a room full of academics who may not have extensive backgrounds in Japanese society or the space that these objects occupy, this too has a negative connotation that was not properly contextualized.

Best,
Rob

Rob Buscher
Programming Director
Philadelphia Asian American Film Festival
www.film.org

Sent from my iPhone