[KineJapan] Early Mizoguchi film enquiry

Roger Macy macyroger at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jun 17 19:51:23 EDT 2014

To attempt to clarify, The 'Film Society' of London, I agree, did not show any film by Mizoguchi, and neither did the english-language journal published in Switzerland from 1927-1933, 'Close Up' feature his films.  I've seen correspondence to the Close Up publishers, reporting that many 'Film Society' members turned up with a copy of the orange-covered journal under their arms, but they had not formal connection.
In Kawakita Nagamasa's 'Recollections', his future wife, Kashiko's first job was to translate 'Love Mad Music Teacher' into german (english version, page 9).  At page 11 Kawakita Nagamasa recalls taking the film to Germany. But
It then suggests it was also
used in the “omnibus” with the components of what came to be called Nippon.  But the preserved films in Europe
apparently don’t support this.
Actually, I never pinned down a French exhibition and I'd appreciate any details that people have.
Roger