[KineJapan] Kaze ni tatsu Lion

Peter Larson pslarson2 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 06:19:52 EDT 2015

Miike's film was shown with Japanese subtitles from the domestic theatrical
version for all the English, Swahili, Maa and Turkana. Overlapped were
English subtitles for all the Japanese. The films shown at the embassy are
subtitled in English. In Nairobi, just about everyone speaks English.

The Japanese actors in Kaze ni tatsu Lion all all had to speak English at
various points with various level of fluency. Ozawa Takao was probably the
weakest of the bunch, actually but as some of the actors were recruited
from our local Japanese staff, he had some pretty tough competition to deal
with. Unfortunately, the producers didn't have them speaking Swahili which
would have been more appropriate, given the setting and probably easier to
deliver.

I was most surprised that the Kenyans picked up on all of the cues in the
Nagasaki portions of the film. I figured some of it would be lost on them,
but they laughed at all the appropriate places.

Miike's team was only here for a short time but I thought they did a good
job of taking the advice of the people around them (both Kenyans and
Japanese) for the film. I'm hoping that other productions come here at some
point (as does Kenya!).

It would be interesting to do an analysis of Japanese films made on the
Continent, particularly in Kenya and particularly in light of Japan's odd
but lasting connection here. Japan has been here since independence and at
one time was the largest donor of foreign aid to Kenya, out-sizing even the
Americans and the Brits.