[KineJapan] abolition of humanities and social sciences atNational Universities in Japan

gsjohnson at otsuma.ac.jp gsjohnson at otsuma.ac.jp
Tue Sep 1 00:02:53 EDT 2015

Some Japanese private schools have already changed their bylaws to make
faculty meetings merely advisory and give all administrative power to
the president. This policy is actually an imitation of US practices,
where faculty senates are generally advisory, can say whatever they want
but have no real power, and the university president acts as a corporate
CEO. At least in the US tenured faculty have tenure for life, whereas in
Japan they only have whatever protections are available to other workers
and only until a relatively young mandatory retirement age (after which
some universities rehire them on temporary contracts to do exactly the
same job for a much lower salary).  The government could eliminate the
protection from arbitrary firing by making university professors a
special category of workers and putting them all on temporary contracts.
Who, besides university professors would protest? The lawyers might
speak out but they're now protesting the unconstitutional nature of the
war bills to no avail. Would Japanese courts protect professors from
firing for political speech or activities?

Many private colleges teach nothing but humanities and social sciences
and have no vocational programs per se, so I don't see a mass closing of
private programs in those areas. It could be good for them in the sense
that students who can't do math (or are interested in humanities) but
want a college degree will have fewer public options and face more
competition for them, leading to an increase in applicants at private
schools. There will probably be an increase in vocational credentials,
like teacher training, tour guide certificate training, etc. offered by
humanities departments.

Why anybody would look at US universities, which are becoming amusement
parks with increasing numbers of well paid upper administrators, as a
model is beyond me. The rankings data are badly skewed towards American
universities. First they're in the English speaking world and second if
you ask all college presidents which school is the best, America has the
most colleges and college presidents so American colleges are going to
stand out. They have been better funded for research since the Cold War
but that doesn't mean they now teach better than universities elsewhere.

The assault on humanities baffles me because I teach in a humanities
department and my students have never had much trouble finding jobs. I'
ve had many students go into banking, stock brokerages, pharmaceutical
companies, IT, construction companies, real estate, police departments,
other public offices. Humanities majors are doing any and every kind of
work you might think a business major would do.

Where is the huge demand in Japan for engineers and accountants? Most of
the new jobs being created now are low paid temporary ones, not high
skilled professional posts.  The legislature and MoE are stocked full of
humanities and social science graduates, mainly law and political
science, maybe some economics (that the government wants to get rid of
in favor of business. Econ departments might contain a few Marxists!)
There are very few science or engineering majors involved in making this
policy. But they apparently think Japan doesn't need young people who
can use a foreign language fluently and interact, negotiate, or do
business with people who aren't Japanese.

Greg