[KineJapan] Films about schooling in Japan during the Alliedoccupation

gsjohnson at otsuma.ac.jp gsjohnson at otsuma.ac.jp
Thu Apr 21 11:22:50 EDT 2016

 Some material without subtitles comes to mind but there is the 1952
Shindō Kaneto drama Genbaku no ko, Child[ren] of the Atom Bomb (I've
seen it labelled Children of Hiroshima in English) which has English
subtitles, at least my Japanese DVD does, and portrays a teacher
returning to Hiroshima several years after the war in search of the few
pupils who survived. It depicts children in a workhouse orphanage. Not
necessarily occupation impact, but war impact and occupation era. From
Hollywood there is the 1956 farce Tea House of the August Moon, in which
an Occupation officer tries to build a school in Okinawa to educate
villagers in the American way, as it were. And Hiroshi Kitamura,
Screening Enlightenment: Hollywood and the Cultural Reconstruction of
Defeated Japan might help. He's very knowledgeable about Japanese film
of that era, as well.

Greg Johnson