[KineJapan] Ogawa Shinsuke season in London, Nov-Dec.

Japanese Cinema Discussion Forum via KineJapan kinejapan at lists.osu.edu
Thu Sep 29 16:22:27 EDT 2016

Dear KineJapaners,Ogawa Shinsuke season in London, Nov-Dec.
The dates of a series of film screenings of and about theleading documentarist, OGAWA Shinsuke have been announced for the ICA (Instituteof Contemporary Arts) in London, listed below.You will see that our own Markus Nornes is giving a talk aswell.I hardly need to say to this list how rare these screeningsare.  A few were screened in Sheffield in2008 and a few in Frankfurt in 2014, but for manyI’m not aware of a European screening this millennium.  I’m pleased to see that they’re all bookedfor the larger theatre at the ICA,I’m guessing because of the need to project 16mm film.For newcomers, Markus’ 2007 book, ‘Forest of Pressure’gives the background.  And the ICA is a short walk downthe Mall from Trafalgar Square.  Arriving at the Palace would be an indicationof having walked too far.RogerAll screenings below in ICA1,with english subtitles :-
|  1  |  Thu 17 Nov 8.15pm  |  Forest of Oppression - A Record of the Struggle at Takasaki City University of Economics, aka The Oppressed Students  |  1967, b/w, 16mm, 105 min.  |
|  2  |  Sat 19 Nov 3pm  |  The Battle Front for the Liberation of Japan - Summer in Narita +Sanrizuka - The Three Day War  |  1968, b/w, 16mm, 108 min. 1970, b/w, 16mm, 50 min.  |
|  3  |  Tue 22 Nov 8.15pm  |  Sanrizuka - Peasants of the Second Fortress  |  1971, b/w, 16mm, 143 min.  |
|  4  |  Thu 24 Nov 8.15pm  |  The Wages of Resistance: The Narita Stories by Otsu Koshiro and Daishima Haruhiko  |  European Premiere, 2015, DCP, 140 min.  |
|  5  |  Sat 26 Nov 3.30pm  |  Heta Village: Rending Village Time | A lecture by Markus Nornes  +Sanrizuka - Heta Village  |    1973, b/w, 16mm, 146 min.  |
|  6  |  Sun 27 Nov 4pm  |  Filmmaking and the Way to the Village by FUKUDA Katsuhiko +Devotion: A Film About the Ogawa Productions, by Barbara HAMMER  |  1973, b/w, 16mm, 54 min,  2000, Japan/USA, colour video, 84 min  |
|  7  |  Wed 30 Nov 8.30pm  |  Dokkoi! Songs from the Bottom  |  1975, , b/w, 16mm, 121 min.  |
|  8  |  Sat 10 Dec 2.30pm  |  “Nippon”: Furuyashiki Village   |  Photography/Masaki Tamura 1982, colour, 16mm, 210 min.  |
|  9  |  Sun 11 Dec 2.30pm Closing Event   |  The Sundial Carved with a Thousand Years of Notches – The Magino Village Story  |  1986, colour, 16mm, 222 min.   |