[KineJapan] Japanese comedies...

Japanese Cinema Discussion Forum via KineJapan kinejapan at lists.osu.edu
Mon May 15 15:29:39 EDT 2017

Thanks for the suggestion, Boel! I'll have a look.

Best,

Tim

On Mon, 5/15/17, Japanese Cinema Discussion Forum via KineJapan <kinejapan at lists.osu.edu> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [KineJapan] Japanese comedies...
 To: "Japanese Cinema Discussion Forum" <kinejapan at lists.osu.edu>

 Dear Tim,

 Sorry for this late reply, but I would also
 suggest that you try and find a copy of one of the film
 books from Udine Far East Film festivals called ”Asia
 Laughs!” (2011). It was edited by Roger Garcia and the
 section on Japanese cinema was written by Mark Schilling,
 who also provided a list of Top Ten comedies. Having visited
 most of the editions of this particular film festival, this
 one is full of extremely fond memories which still make me
 laugh. I particularly enjoyed the series of Hong Kong movies
 from the early 1960s.

 All best,
 Boel

 13 maj 2017 kl. 21:37 skrev Japanese Cinema
 Discussion Forum via KineJapan <kinejapan at lists.osu.edu>:

 > I agree with the
 suggestions that critics/scholars have to present a
 "serious" face to the world, the better to justify
 what may seem like a frivolous activity to outsiders--film
 scholars especially, given, as you point out, the historical
 situation of cinema as a new and popular, and therefore
 inferior, art... To quote someone famous beyond his merits,
 "Sad!"

 Many thanks for your kind recommendations--I'll have a
 look.

 > Best,
 >

 > Tim

 > On Thu, 5/11/17, Japanese Cinema
 Discussion Forum via KineJapan <kinejapan at lists.osu.edu>
 wrote:

 Re: [KineJapan] Japanese comedies...

 To: "Japanese Cinema Discussion Forum" <kinejapan at lists.osu.edu>
 PM

 > Dear
 > Tim,
 > I devoted one
 > chapter of my thesis [downloadable here
 www.tdx.cat/handle/10803/
 try to explain why comedy films, and

 especially Japanese comedies, are generally neglected by
 > critics and scholars. Also, based on this
 chapter I wrote
 > another one for a book
 [2016. “De Kitano a Matsumoto («or

 How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Japanese Film
 > Comedy»).” in El Japón Contemporáneo:
 Una
 > Aproximación Desde Los Estudios
 Culturales, edited by
 > Artur
 Lozano-Méndez, 55–78. Barcelona: Bellaterra]. Both
 > are in Spanish, I hope I can also publish
 something about
 > this in English.
 > In
 > short, my
 principal conclusion is that criticism acts as an
 > institution aimed to self-affirmation.
 Cinema, as a
 > relatively new thing and
 mainly regarded as a consumption
 > good
 for mass audience, lacks of the prestige that arts or
 > literature hold. Therefore, film critics
 and scholars tend
 > to focus on
 "serious" aspects in order to justify
 > and legitimize its field of expertise. In
 the Japanese case,
 > the stereotipe of
 the imposibility to grasp Japanese humour
 > by the non Japanese makes things worse.
 > Then, after my self-promotion, I
 > reccomend you to check:- Yoshida, J.
 (2006),
 > Origins of Japanese Film Comedy
 and Questions of Colonial
 > Modernity,
 Eugene, University of Oregon.- Sontag,

 S. (1987), «In Conclusion…», East-West Film Journal,
 2
 > (1), Honolulu, East-West Center, pp.
 99-106.-
 > Costa, J., ed. (2010), Una
 risa nueva: posthumor, parodias y
 > otras
 mutaciones de la comedia, Molina de Segura,
 > Nausícaä. (This is also in Spanish. Its
 introduction is
 > really worthy). Best
 > regards,Jose Montaño
 >

 > On 12 May 2017 at 06:38,
 > Japanese Cinema Discussion Forum via
 KineJapan <kinejapan at lists.osu.edu>
 > wrote:
 > At the
 > risk of sounding thoroughly out-of-touch
 (entirely possible,
 > as I most certainly
 am!)--why oh why are there so few

 scholarly works on Japanese comedies? And not only
 Japanese
 > comedies; it seems as though
 comedy cinema and humour in
 > general are
 out-of-bounds for academic research: too light,
 > too frivolous, too transient...
 >

 > I've come across
 only one journal dedicated to

 comedy--"Warai gaku kenkyu." As worthwhile as
 it
 > is, it can't be the
 "only" venue for scholars

 interested in comedy?

 > Japanese directors have produced some
 truly great comedies.
 > From droll and
 dry to madcap and silly, frenetic to

 deadpan... Is the academic mood really that comedy is too
 > frivolous to study? Or maybe we don't
 want to kill the
 > humour through
 analytical interpretation--we keep our

 favourite comedies to ourselves...

 > Just some late-spring musings...
 >

 > Best,
 >

 > Tim Iles
 >
 > University of
 Victoria

 > KineJapan mailing
 list

 > KineJapan at lists.osu.edu
 >
 > https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lists.osu.edu_mailman_&d=DwIGaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=e7qMG9KFq7WNnPQWULWHJA&m=-ICK8JNFC2x0CLeqKgVSmZzWWgFIJAZdFBdV4YZuwzE&s=bCZbcoX72B9lHo5qne4j3FkRxS4zIaXIaTog5PozuN8&e=
 > listinfo/kinejapan
 >

 > --
 > Jose

 Montañoホセ・モンターニョCine y